In line with Government restrictions, including regulations on social distancing, the following measures are now being adopted to continue to provide a service for families experiencing the loss of a loved one:
- Funeral attendance is restricted to immediate family members, with mourners maintaining a social distance of two metres at all times
- Graveside attendance is permitted to no more than 10 people.
Protect our staff and the public
Convener of Stirling Council’s Environment and Housing Committee, Cllr Jim Thomson said: “The last thing we want to do is add to the distress of bereaved families, but in these unprecedented times we must adhere to the strict Government restrictions to protect our staff and the public.”
“These are not decisions we would want to impose during the loss of a loved one, but our cemeteries staff will do all they can to ensure people can properly pay their respects in a dignified manner.”
A number of other changes have been made to funeral arrangements. These include:
- Provisional interment bookings can only be made electronically via email attachment or fax (signatures of the family member/applicant arranging the funeral will be required on all applications of internment forms)
- The suspension of the process to ‘Transfer the Exclusive Right of Burial’ – lair transfers can take place at a later date
- The suspension of the Memorial Mason Registration Scheme and associated applications for the installation of foundations, added inscriptions and requests of permits.
Care and respect
Vice Convener of the Environment and Housing Committee, Cllr Danny Gibson said: “We understand how difficult these measures will be for families mourning the death of a loved one at this time.
“Despite the national restrictions, we will continue to offer a funeral service with care and respect, and our staff will be available to provide help and reassurance for families. We will actively monitor the situation so we can remove the restrictions as soon as possible.”
For more information on our cemeteries service, including our more affordable Direct Funerals offering, please follow this link: https://www.stirling.gov.uk/licensing-legal/births-marriages-death/cemeteries/
Details of government assistance for bereaved families can be found on the following website: https://www.mygov.scot/funeral-support-payment/
A support network to help Stirling’s most vulnerable people has been launched by Stirling Council during the current COVID-19 pandemic. Residents can apply for this support and find the details about it here: https://www.stirling.gov.uk/supportforpeople