Funded by the UK Government, the facility will be located in Forthside, adjacent to the Engine Shed and the footbridge. It will become fully operational next week.
Covid-19 exemptions mean there is no requirement to adopt the normal planning process for the temporary development.
A letter with details of how the centre will operate has been pinned up on the noticeboards in the entrance to the block of flats within the immediate vicinity.
Mitie, a facilities management and professional services company, is installing the facility.
Testing is part of the UK and Scottish Government’s strategy to supress the virus and is currently obtained through a number of means, including:
- Static test sites (such as Glasgow and Edinburgh airports)
- Mobile Testing Units (MTU) (g the one currently located at the University of Stirling)
- Home testing postal kits
- Walk-through testing sites.
The Scottish Government and NHS Forth Valley had made the request for the walk-through test centre to support Stirling’s university community and local residents, particularly those who may not have access to a vehicle to attend MTU venues, such as the one based at the university.
Forthside has been chosen to host the testing centre due its central geographical location and close proximity to a transport hub.
Some key points:
- The testing centre will be located as close as possible to the Engine Shed to keep it further away from the residential properties at the northern part of the site
- Pedestrian access to the testing site will be at the south of the site next to the base of the footbridge
- There will be no parking on site for people attending for a test - those who have travelled by car should leave their vehicle at the public car park next to the Vue Cinema
- Parking for testing centre staff will be at the north of the site
- Queues will be held within the boundary of the site and not encroach into the land in front of the Engine Shed. Staff on site will manage queues.
- A pilot event will take at the site and if any significant issues come to light, this could mean the site could be moved to another location.
More information on coronavirus (Covid-19) testing and walk-through centres can be found on the NHS Inform website.