To ensure your enquiry is directed to the correct person, choose between:

  • General Enquiries (if you require information about a council service)
  • Report an Issue  (If you want to report a pothole, missed bin etc)

If you are reporting an issue for the first time this would be done using the general enquiries or report an issue link above.

We regard a complaint as an expression of dissatisfaction. e.g. about a service we have provided, the lack of action we have taken, or about the standard of service provided by us or by a third party on our behalf.  Please use the link below to make a complaint.

  • Compliment or Complaint

Stirling Council’s Corporate Enquiries Team will coordinate and assign your complaint during working hours, Monday - Friday, 9 am-5 pm.  All complaints received out with working hours will be logged and assigned on the next working day.

Last updated: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 11:15 AM