Planning permission is required for many forms of development and also includes changes in the use of buildings and land. Other types of applications include Advertisement Consent, Conservation Area Consent, Listed Building Consent, Prior Notification/Approval, Tree Works and Certificates of Lawfulness.  Further information about which type of application(s) you may require can be found on the Scottish Government’s ePlanning portal.

Submitting a Planning Application

All planning applications are done through the Scottish Government’s ePlanning portal. Planning Application Forms and details of current application fees can also be found there.  Please check our validation standards to ensure you submit a completed application and not incur any delays in the processing of your application.

Whose responsibility is it to get planning permission?

It is your responsibility for seeking planning permission.  If planning permission is required then work must not start until planning permission has been granted.

Why control development?

Planning decisions affect everyone. They have an impact on the quality of the environment and the financial value of the land. Planning decisions can also be controversial and arouse considerable public interest, so these decisions must be made openly and impartially.  Some of the benefits of properly controlled development are:

  • Ensuring that new houses are connected to roads and sewers, and have shops and schools nearby.
  • Keeping a noisy or dirty industry away from residential areas.
  • Ensuring that new buildings are well laid out and at home with their surroundings.
  • Conserving nature, the countryside and good farmland.
  • Ensuring that the road system can handle new developments.

How your application will be decided

The legislation sets out how your planning application will be determined.  We have a target of two months to decide local applications (this includes applications from householders) and four months to determine major applications.

Data Protection and Copyright

Your application will be published on the internet.  Your information will not be used for any other purpose unless required by law, to prevent or detect crime or to protect public funds.  You will not be asked for any unnecessary information and to protect personal data, we will not publish individual signatures, telephone numbers, or e-mail addresses.  We will rectify inaccurate information within 24 hours of being advised during normal business hours.  We will not keep your information on the internet any longer than is required by legislation.  We will take all reasonable precautions to protect personal data from accidental or deliberate loss or unauthorised disclosure.  We will process your personal data in accordance with the rights of data subjects under the Data Protection Act. You can access the personal data that Stirling Council holds about you or raise any concerns by contacting the Information Compliance Officer.

Plans, drawings and materials submitted to the Council are protected by the Copyright Acts (section 47, 1998 Act).

If you wish to speak to someone in connection with an application, you should contact the Case Officer directly.  You can find their number on all correspondence from us.

Last updated: Thursday, December 16, 2021 5:08 PM